There's a thread in Slashdot about the IT Act (Ammendemnt) Bill, 2006, recently passed by our own govt.
From the looks of it, it is going to be worser than DMCA or anything the yankees have come up with their brain-deadness. There are already provisions to:
- Intercept "person-to-person" communication
- Provision of blocking certain websites (although, how dare a handful decide what are we supposed to view online?)
- DMCA like measures, which can whisk you off no matter you upload 'undesirable' contets to servers hosted 'outside' India's borders.
- Liability of P2P transfers.
This would also mean that:
- You may not mail jokes, not even forward one.
- You may not surf Bollywood news.
- You can't watch p0rn -- big no no.
Hahaha... what's this? Utopia? I have always felt that India needs something like EFF to protect the Electronic Privacy of Netizens. Too few of my friends got me. I still think we have time to create one. There are numerous ones to protect 'women', why don't we form one to protect Netizen's rights?
Why do you fail to see that these sort of stupid laws prevent us even from blogging? Isn't that considered as transmission of undesirable (at least to some people) electronic data? You can't criticize.. ugh!
I had great respect for my govt., that it wouldn't take brain-dead laws like Aussies, or the EU, or like Yankees. I lost that respect. I hate the law makers now.
I opt for an EFF-India wing. I don't like to be spied upon. For any matters, whatsoever.